Mon, Sep 13|
Soul Care Group: Abba's Child
If you struggle with: insecurity, believing God likes you, people-pleasing/codependency behaviors, tolerating yourself when you fail/make mistakes/have limitations, or live a life of endless busyness and performance (i.e. striving for acceptance/approval) then this experience is for you.
Time & Location
Sep 13, 2021, 7:00 PM PDT – Nov 01, 2021, 9:00 PM PDT
Vancouver, 8803 NE 76th St, Vancouver, WA 98662, USA
About the Event
Have you ever had an experience that changed your life and how you lived so dramatically and fully that you promised yourself you'd do everything in your power and take every opportunity to share the truth you gained from that experience with others? That experience for me was reading this book and finally receiving the truth that God cherishes me, isn't disappointed in me, and is a seriously good parent to me. After years of working with and ministering to people I know the struggle to trust what God says about you is real. Others need to know and believe this truth for themselves. What I do know is that it takes a heart-knowledge of experiencing something other than condemnation, fear, criticism, and anger to begin to trust the truths of His love for you.
Book: Abba's Child by Brennan Manning -- there are 9 chapters, we will cover 8 in the group.
Dates: Mondays starting Sept 13th-Nov.1st
Location: Heritage Church, Vancouver
Who: 6-10 women ages 18+
What: This will be a closed process-style book club. Meaning once we begin no one will be allowed to join until the next 8wk group. If you are not able to commit to the majority (at least 7) of the sessions please consider waiting for another goup. It's important to keep consistancy and committment to one another as a group.
Cost: $50 (includes book & materials)
Facilitator: Julia Garrison -- Altough I am licensed as a mental health counselor and have taught in the field of psychology/counseling I am not the group therapist or teacher. I will be sharing applicable parts of my story, facilitating group discussion, and prompting questions. I will provide exercises and handouts for those who want to engage further with the topics. I will bring a trauma-informed lense as well as a gentle, playful, and active leadership style to the group as this work (individuals authentically and bravely leaning into transformation) is very sacred to me. I prioritize emotional safety and creating relationships that empower those I engage with.
Recommendations & Somethings to Consider:
- I would not recommend inviting or coming with a close friend or family member. While this may feel safe for some it can also keep you in 'impostor mode' or having the pressure to maintain parts of yourself that aren't authentic to this kind of work.
- While this will not be easy or light material, it will be gentle, reflective, validating, and tender. Please email me firstname.lastname@example.org and we can schedule a 15min phone call/video call if you have questions about the content/material.
- While I attended Seminary, love the Word of God, and take theological studies seriously--- I am not focused on answering theological questions about God, the Bible, or Christianity. I will, however, share my opinions and experiences when appropriate, prompt further explorative questions for the group, and provide space for individuals to tolerate the gray/unknown.
- This will be a closed process-style book club. Meaning once we begin no one will be allowed to join until the next 8wk group. If you are not able to commit to the majority (at least 7) of the sessions please consider waiting for another goup. It's important to keep consistancy and committment to one another as a group.
- Please read chapter one before group. CHAPTER ONE PDF LINK You will be provided the softcover book at our first meeting, September 13th.
- To view the present schedule please see the event "Schedule" section, click "see all" and the "read more" drop down to review the basic structure of each group.
Read Chapter 1 before groupPersonal Time
Week 1Heritage Church: Classroom